Home of the IBB. The online group devoted to solving ARGs around the net.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Electronics Entertainment Expo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AfroNick
Civilian
Civilian

Renown : 0

PostSubject: The Electronics Entertainment Expo   Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:46 am

Also known as E3. Whether you love it or hate it, there's no denying that the big three and just about every other developer use it to their advantages to promote new hardware, software, and everything in between. So, keep it civil, and please keep the fanboying/fangirling down to a minimum.

My personal thoughts thus far (yes, this is all strictly opinion):
Microsoft: I actually didn't wake up until about halfway through the conference, but my friend with whom I was doing commentary with caught me up pretty fast. I'm not one for the Call of Duty franchise, so that presentation wasn't a regrettable miss. I was also told there was some Gears of War 3 footage, and while I will probably rent it at some point, I'm not actively looking forward to it. I did see the Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary trailer after the conference, and considering I've been a Halo fan ever since PC, I am pretty excited to see how it looks in HD, and how it works. The only drawback is that it doesn't have the Halo PC maps in it, but if it does have Chiron TL-34, all will be forgiven. I love that map so much. Speaking of, I was also surprised to hear the announcement of not only Halo 4, but an entirely new trilogy. Considering all Halo titles are being developed by 343 Studios and not Bungie, I'll be hesitant, even if 343 Studios has a bunch of ex-Bungie employees including Frankie O'Connor.

Then, there's the new Kinect games. Call me old-school, but I just... I don't like it. None of the games really appealed to my tastes, even if the technology behind it is pretty cool. I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this, but I just don't like games where you're flailing around like a madman. The announcement of Kinect mods being available in for easy download did surprise me, and that was indeed good news. Never been a fan of Fable, so seeing a Kinect-based title didn't exactly draw me in. Minecraft on 360 is... well, I don't really know what to make of it. I mean, I guess it's good, but most people already have Minecraft on PC. If the multiplayer was as bad as it was back in Alpha, then yes, I do see the huge advantages to having Xbox Live servers backing the game, but now, it's not much of a problem anymore. A Tim Schafer/Double Fine Sesame Street game will probably be a good game for kids, but let's be honest: that was probably the least expected thing we were thinking of when Mr. Schafer got up on stage. I have nothing positive to say about Virtual Disneyland or Kinect Star Wars, so let's move on.

I didn't catch either EA's or Ubisoft's conferences, though I can imagine the former had some fantastic Battlefield 3 footage for us. I'll read up on both of theirs' in a little bit, but since I didn't see them, I cannot comment. I did see the Mass Effect 3 demos, and that is how I would use Kinect: keep the controller for core gameplay, but the little things like squad commands during combat would be welcome for me. Reminds me of EndWar, without the horribly broken gameplay.

Sony: Didn't know what to expect this year, other than something about the PSN outage, NGP, and more Move stuff. The good thing is that they handled it very respectively: in the beginning, coming on stage and flat-out apologizing. Good move on their part. As for their games/hardware, I was happy to see Uncharted 3 looking as good as ever. I've yet to play inFAMOUS (but I did get it with the Welcome Back program), so I'm not sure what to make of that. Resistance 3 looks like Resistance, so I think it'll be a rent for me. Then came the Move and the games for it. Again, not a fan of motion controls, so I just looked at this section with boredom. Bioshock Infinite looks good if I actually liked the Bioshock games, but I didn't like playing them at all. What really surprised me, and what I'm definitely most excited for now is Sly 4. Even though I only recently picked up all three games, they have been rather glorious and some of the most fun platformers I've played in recent years. I simply cannot wait to see how it turns out, and I will more than likely buy it.

Moving onto the NGP. I guess I have to call it the PSVita now... even if that is a stupid name. What can I say, other than wow. Sony is really going after Nintendo with that price, and it looks to be a good fight. The Uncharted game for it was impressive, and that caliber of graphics on a handheld was impressive. Of course we see another LBP title under the title Little Big Planet: Fingerprint. New ModNation Racers, some dungeon crawler, and some other things, and it was overall a decent showing. The lack of Kevin Butler made me a little disappointed (I love the character), and I was hoping Gabe would show back up to announce something, but neither appeared. I'll admit, the "Ridge Racer line" joke did get a few chuckles out of me. Sitting through Sony's show wasn't nearly as boring as recent years.

I am going to watch Nintendo tomorrow and hope they kick as much ass as they did last year.

Alright, thoughts from you now. Go!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevandyr

Renown : 2

PostSubject: Re: The Electronics Entertainment Expo   Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:11 am

Coming from someone who owns an Xbox, the Xbox conference was really, really disappointing. In fact, it was terrible. It had too many gimmicks and one or two cool moments with the Kinect which in retrospective would get old after five minutes. I had a lot of hope for Star Wars Kinect. Ugh.

EA's conference was on and off. The sports stuff they did looked like more of the same, but what do you expect? The Need for Speed game looked really bad, I HATE QTEs in games. Battlefield 3 looked AWESOME though.

I didn't catch any of the Ubisoft conference apart from the Assassin's Creed trailer. That looks to be more of the same, which in a way, is awesome.

I watched bits of the Sony conference. I don't have high hopes for the Vita but it could turn out to be good. Looking forward to Street Fighter X Tekken and the Third Strike port to consoles though.

Unimpressed overall so far. Microsoft had its bits of hilarity (The controller disconnecting at the start during the MW3 playthrough!) Hopefully Nintendo will pull through as they always do.

Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: The Electronics Entertainment Expo   Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:11 pm

I have mixed feelings about Nintendo's conference. First of all, "Wii U." So, that means that Nintendo has answered Sony's challenge and is fighting them on everything, including the worst name category. The meeting didn't exactly answer many questions on what this Wii U actually is. For a while, I thought Wii U was the name of the controller, which was the new console that worked for the Wii, and blaaaaaaaarg that really confused me. Apparently, the Wii U is a new HD system and the controller that they showed WASN'T it, but works on both systems? Speaking of that controller, no longer can anyone complain about the original Xbox controller if that's acceptable. The analog sticks don't look to be in the most comfortable of places, but hey, I'll try before I can completely judge.

Now, near the end I did get a little excited because of the third-party support, which Nintendo has been really lacking on ever since the GameCube era, but began during the latter half of the N64. If so, this could mean good games that aren't specifically another Zelda or Mario game. The announcement of Smash Bros. 4 means that I can start campaigning for Heavy to be in it as a crossover guest. I had my doubts about Skyward Sword last year, but it looks like it'll be alright. I'm interested in this new Super Mario Bros. 3 2 that they're showing off, since I can't get enough Mario platforming. Kinda disappointed we didn't see anything concerning a new Metroid, but after Other M, maybe it's best that the franchise finds where it needs to go (back to Retro Studios, who have proven that they can do good with whatever they're given.) I'm glad to see more on the new Kid Icarus game, but I still don't know what to think about it. And I don't know about any of you, but I actually enjoyed Luigi's Mansion, so seeing a second one after all these years was welcome.

Sadly, no new IPs were unveiled. Sure, new games from old faces are nice, especially since they'll probably do well and be good games, but it just seems like it's about time for a franchise to spawn from the creative minds they have. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drummaniac17
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: The Electronics Entertainment Expo   Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:16 pm

I only saw the Xbox conference and little bits and pieces of other stuff. I'm only excited for a few things. Minecraft for Kinect, the two new halo games, and the new FarCrysis. Oops, I meant to say FarCry. My mistake. /badjoke
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevandyr

Renown : 2

PostSubject: Re: The Electronics Entertainment Expo   Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Really looking forward to the Wii-U. Looks to eliminate all the bad things about the Wii whilst keeping the good things that made it a great console.

PostSubject: Re: The Electronics Entertainment Expo   

Back to top Go down

The Electronics Entertainment Expo

View previous topic View next topic Back to top