Home of the IBB. The online group devoted to solving ARGs around the net.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

DEMAND PROGRESS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zero_Starlight
Civilian
Civilian

Renown : 2

PostSubject: DEMAND PROGRESS   Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:24 am

Hopefully, many of you guys and gals have already looked into this, but in case you haven't...

UPDATE: Let's keep it coming: We told you about the Motion Picture Association of America's charges that our petition against PROTECT IP (the Internet Blacklist Bill) includes fake signatures -- that you, even as you read this email, don't really exist.

We've punched back, hard: More than 35,000 Demand Progress members just emailed their lawmakers to demand that they oppose this terrible legislation. And then it got even worse for the MPAA: Their hometown paper, the LA Times, came out against the bill yesterday. And the New York Times just announced its opposition this morning.

Apparently Congress in the US are putting into action a bill formerly known as the Internet Blacklist Bill (now called the PROTECT IP Act) With this bill in action... well, just read this sample email.

Friends-

We've certainly got their attention. The Motion Picture Association of America is trying to push back against Demand Progress and Internet freedom activists by claiming that we're just not really here. They claim that Demand Progress's 350,000-signature petition in opposition to the Internet Blacklist Bill (now called the PROTECT IP Act) is full of fake names.

Well, it's time to prove them wrong. Demand Progress has a new system in place that makes it easy for you to email House and Senate offices directly. (This is different from signing the petition against the bill, and I urge you to take this action even if you've signed the petition.)

Will you email Congress to urge them to oppose the PROTECT IP Act? Just click here-

http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/pipa_letter/?referring_akid=a1559455.258003.ze5kOh&source=auto-taf

PROTECT IP would give the government the power to force Internet service providers, search engines, and other "information location tools" to block users' access to sites that have been accused of copyright infringement -- the initiation of a China-style censorship regime here in the United States.

By emailing your lawmakers' offices directly you'll make sure that they know that you're their constituent and can vote for or against them when they're up for re-election -- and you'll be calling the MPAA out for their cynicism and bogus charges against Demand Progress, its members, and all Internet freedom activists.

Will you email Congress to urge them to oppose the PROTECT IP Act? Just click here-

http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/pipa_letter/?referring_akid=a1559455.258003.ze5kOh&source=auto-taf

Thanks!

[/end sample]

People, if this bill is passed... I don't even want to think of what could happen. *Shudders*
Please. PLEASE, send a email from their site. We need to cancel this bill. AT ANY COST.

Good luck,
- Zero

Last edited by Zero_Starlight on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aqua
Sleuth
Sleuth

Renown : 0

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Oh man, that sounds pretty serious. I would try and follow the links, but I'm Canadian, so would anything I do even be able to help???
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aquapainter.tumblr.com
TR1
Administrator
Administrator

Renown : 1

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:26 pm

That's up-surd! There is no way that the American people would let this fly. The only people this helps are major corporations and limits everyone else. The government is getting crazier by the day.

Official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Star Wars the Old Republic Guild
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swtor.com/guilds/92827/mlp-friendship-magic
CookiesAreForever
Sleuth
Sleuth

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 am

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as Aqua

Being Canadian seems to have its benefits now...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TR1
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:56 am

There is a way to support it if you are out of the US, but I don't think this will ever pass anyway. I think it is just one of those crazy right-wing bills you hear about every once and awhile.

Official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Star Wars the Old Republic Guild
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swtor.com/guilds/92827/mlp-friendship-magic
Zero_Starlight
Civilian
Civilian

Renown : 2

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks for taking notice of this. Quick note to cookies and Aqua; I'm Canadian as well. It doesn't cost anything to oppose this, so I added my signature to it.

-Zero
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aqua
Sleuth
Sleuth

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:53 am

Oh, I see, okay. I'm still a little iffy on putting in my address, but I agree with TR1 that I can't see this getting passed. The law doesn't seem to make any logical sense, and as he pointed out, benefits very few people.
Back to top Go down
willowrain

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:28 am

They have another one. "Ten Strike"

This one could have anyone who "illegally" streams copy written content more than ten times facing jail time. This includes songs in youtube videos, or even kids lip syncing to songs, or posting karaoke.

I swim for better days despite the absence of sun, chokin' on saltwater. I'm not givin' in. I swim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wispthewillow.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:57 pm

willowrain wrote:

This one could have anyone who "illegally" streams copy written content more than ten times facing jail time. This includes songs in youtube videos, or even kids lip syncing to songs, or posting karaoke.

i was hopping someone could find that article and post it for me thanks
Back to top Go down
Aqua
Sleuth
Sleuth

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:51 am

willowrain wrote:

They've got to be kidding. That's completely ridiculous, what on earth. There's no way that'd get passed.
Back to top Go down
Ariesus
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:02 pm

I've been following this for a while, I think my name is on most of those petitions.

I'm not sure if any of these are close to passing, but I know that there have been problems with the creation of these bills/legislation/etc.

Keep on fighting the good fight!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
willowrain

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Got an email today...it said this:

Quote :
Mara,

Completely over the top, even compared to everything else we're up against: Entertainment industry sources are leaking that they've convinced Internet service providers to start restricting people's web access. If you're accused of downloading or streaming three files they'll consider messing with your Internet connection -- and maybe even decide what sites you're allowed to visit.

The MPAA and RIAA have convinced companies like Comcast, AT&T, and others to voluntarily create a "Three Strikes" policy -- yes, that's really what they are calling it. CNET Reports that your Internet service provider will respond to online file sharing with censorship tools like:

* "Throttling down" your Internet bandwidth and speed;

* Limiting your access to the Web;

* Controlling what websites you are allowed to visit;

* And requiring you to attend pirate school to be educated on copyright law.

I swim for better days despite the absence of sun, chokin' on saltwater. I'm not givin' in. I swim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wispthewillow.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DEMAND PROGRESS   

Back to top Go down

DEMAND PROGRESS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top