Home of the IBB. The online group devoted to solving ARGs around the net.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Metal Gear

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AfroNick
Civilian
Civilian

Renown : 0

PostSubject: Metal Gear   Sun May 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Topic for all Metal Gear series related discussion.

To put a very long story short, I grew up with Snake (figuratively, obviously). The series' 25th Anniversary is next year, and I really hope that there's some way to play the MSX games soon, other than the elusive Subsistence Disc 2. I've always wondered if they were going to remake Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake in 3D... thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TR1
Administrator
Administrator

Renown : 1

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Sun May 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Doesn't have to be in 3D, but a remake for one and two NEEDS to happen. I have heard too many people say they haven't played MGS 1 because of the out-dated platform.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swtor.com/guilds/92827/mlp-friendship-magic
Jevandyr

Renown : 2

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Sun May 29, 2011 8:55 pm

I played MGS1 a long time ago and I played MGS2 and 3 lately, 3 is an awesome game. I'd play 4 if I had a PS3 but it doesn't really warrant me buying one, although at this point it would take a LOT for me to buy a PS3.

Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Sun May 29, 2011 9:40 pm

TR1 wrote:
Doesn't have to be in 3D, but a remake for one and two NEEDS to happen. I have heard too many people say they haven't played MGS 1 because of the out-dated platform.

Wait, not necessarily 3D like 3D glasses (in my opinion, that would ruin it). I meant like take what we all know to be a Metal Gear Solid game, and apply it to the Outer Heaven and Zanzibarland incidents. In any case, if they're just going to be the PS2 Subsistence ports, at least release them on a platform like PSN or XBLA. I'd gladly pay for both of them.

And just to clarify we're talking about the same game, I'm speaking about Metal Gear from 1987 and it's sequel, not Metal Gear Solid, which is the third official game to come out. I was a little confused for a second with "MGS1."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TR1
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Sun May 29, 2011 9:41 pm

Yeah sorry lol. There have been a lot of Metal Gears, but I think the oldest should get revamped above the rest. A lot of people fail to recognize it as the pioneer of the series.
Back to top Go down
Drummaniac17
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 1:47 am

I've only played the main games, none on the PSP or the reboots or anything. I never got to play MGS4 because I dont have a PS3.

What was the difference between MGS3 Snake Eater and the one that came with the collectors set? Same with MGS2, there are 2 versions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AfroNick
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 2:32 am

Drummaniac17 wrote:
What was the difference between MGS3 Snake Eater and the one that came with the collectors set? Same with MGS2, there are 2 versions.

Yes, there are two versions of both Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is the original game released in 2001. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance was released in 2003 (if I remember correctly). It's an expanded version of the same game, including new missions that allow the player to control Snake during the Plant chapter, new dog tags, a demo for some skateboarding game, and other things. While Sons of Liberty is a PS2 exclusive, Substance was released for PS2, the original Xbox, and a very elusive PC port (which I SHOULD have bought for $4 when I saw it at Half-Price Books). The "Snake Tales" aren't too much to concern yourself with (they don't even have cutscenes and it's more or less just a skin modification for a few new objectives) and the special features aren't too grand.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater was released in 2004 on the PS2 and is, again, the original version of the game. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, released in 2006, is the expanded version, but includes many more features and is, I believe, considered to be the much superior version. Not only does it include online multiplayer (a first for MGS, and sadly the servers are now offline), but also a much better camera angle option in addition to the original top-down perspective, "Secret Theatre Mode" which are a series of "What-ifs" making fun of the cutscenes (seriously, they're pretty funny), and revamped ports of both Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, the very first two Metal Gear titles released on the MSX Computer System. However, both the Secret Theatre and the MG/MG2 ports are on Disc 2 of Subsistence, which was not included with the MGS Essentials Collection version.

The Metal Gear Solid Essentials Collection was a re-issue of Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, released in 2008.

Phew, that took a while to type. Anyways, hope that cleared up some things. If it's a TL;DR case, consider both Substance and Subsistence the Director's Cuts of the original games. I tend to fanboy/get carried away with Metal Gear.

Last edited by AfroNick on Mon May 30, 2011 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TR1
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 2:33 am

It is a good thing to be a fanboy of.
Back to top Go down
Drummaniac17
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 10:34 am

God thanks Nick. That really helped. I've actually seen one secret theatre, it was when Ocelot jumped into that plane thing when Snake and Eva were escaping
Spoiler:

but instead of him landing in he just flies out the other door into the water.

I have Snake Eater. My friend has Subsistense. No fair. Batman Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulStar
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Snake? Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

now that I think about that,
Space? Space? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TR1
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 3:11 pm

SNAKE? SNAKE? SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

(Moonbase Alpha win)
Back to top Go down
Jevandyr

Renown : 2

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 4:00 pm

TR1 wrote:

(Moonbase Alpha win)
Aha, awesome. I watch that video DAILY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Indeed, that video and Moonbase Alpha are pretty lulzy. I love messing with the people who actually play it seriously online.

Back to the topic at hand, now that the PSP-Remasters series is happening, think we'll see a PS3 version of Peace Walker or Portable Ops?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulStar
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Jevandyr wrote:
TR1 wrote:

(Moonbase Alpha win)
Aha, awesome. I watch that video DAILY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

John madden! John madden! John madden!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TR1
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 5:09 pm

AfroNick wrote:
Indeed, that video and Moonbase Alpha are pretty lulzy. I love messing with the people who actually play it seriously online.

Back to the topic at hand, now that the PSP-Remasters series is happening, think we'll see a PS3 version of Peace Walker or Portable Ops?

Probably not. We are most likely going to see mainly hand-held remakes. To be honest, I can't recall any remake being ported onto the PS3.
Back to top Go down
Drummaniac17
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 10:15 pm

Okay you know how the first MGS was called Tactical Espionage Action?

Metal Gear Rising is called "Lighting Bolt Action" OH GOD I LOL'D SO DAMN HARD!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AfroNick
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon May 30, 2011 10:23 pm

TR1 wrote:
AfroNick wrote:

Probably not. We are most likely going to see mainly hand-held remakes. To be honest, I can't recall any remake being ported onto the PS3.

No no, they're bringing PSP titles to the PS3 with this, similar to what they did with certain PS2 games (such as the rumored HD remakes of MGS1-3) like God of War 1 and 2 and the Sly Collection. The first one coming is some Monster Hunter game.

In response to Drummaniac17: I really don't know what to make of Metal Gear Rising. It'll be an interesting experiment, but as long as the stealth mechanics are in place (which I've heard that a no-kill game is possible), it should be alright. I could be wrong, and we'll end up with another Metal Gear Acid.

EDIT: In case you didn't know, Konami announced yesterday thta they were, indeed, bringing an HD remake trilogy, though not quite what everyone was expecting. Sure, we thought that Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 were going to be in a pack, but also included in this pack of three is Peace Walker. There's nothing about a remake of Metal Gear Solid 1 (other than the excellent Twin Snakes for GameCube), but combining both the PS2 and PSP Remasters was a good idea. I cannot wait for MGS: HD Collection to come out this November, ten years after MGS2 was originally released on the PS2.

This HD Collection will be available for BOTH Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, so nobody can miss out on these great titles (unless you're a complete PC gamer or you only have a Wii). Also, this means I don't have to buy a PSP anymore!

In addition to that, Konami also announced HD remakes of Zone of the Enders 1 and 2, again for both 360 and PS3. All I can say to that: hell yes. If good sales mean a Zone of the Enders 3, HELL YES.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Masquerade

Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Afro, you just got me pumped to hell and back. MG is in the top 3 video game series of all time, in my opinion...

Not going to go on a long talk on why, you guys already know that...

The re-masters have me pumped up... I never buy games... unless it's important to me. Eg, I purchased MK because it was so similar to the real MK games of the past, and I grew up with it, so it's important to me. I just bought the MGS collectors set (1,2,3) as mentioned earlier from Willow's brother.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TegaDrake
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Oh! I just bought the collection like last week. I was playing the first one this weekend, and I do enjoy it.
But I'm a total noob, so I'm getting my ass kicked on easy. I'd be ashamed if I didn't already know this game was gonna be difficult for me. Still fun, though! I only got to Psycho Mantis in the time I was playing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cloudsangel.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear   

Back to top Go down

Metal Gear

View previous topic View next topic Back to top